Sunday, May 21, 2017

How man spread earthworms

How man spread earthworms

The stabilizing ballast
lowers the hull
and my eyesight
below the revealing horizon,
a blinking marker
lost in the mist.
Yet, I do not dare 
empty the belly 
of the living earth, 
and lose the ability 
to digest 
the consuming world.
But others have
already regurgitated 
their ecology 
onto the virgin land, 
once controlled by 
layers of the vivid fall.
The worms' appetites
free the thick brush 
to blind us 
of the lost civilizations.

-Robert L. Jackson III





9 comments:

  1. Hi Rob! That is a pretty sweet little boat you have there. You will be enjoying the summer, I can see. Nice to see you in the Pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I understood it, regardless I enjoyed the read.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yet, I do not dare 
    empty the belly 
    of the living earth, 
    and lose the ability 
    to digest 
    the consuming world."

    My favourite lines

    Luv the topsy turvy nuances in your poem Rob , Thanks for dropping by my Sunday Standard this week

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An alternative take on the evolution of this particular worm but your writing is original and refreshing for us of the lost civilisations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those earthworms are really captivating..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those earthworms will get us in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet, I do not dare
    empty the belly
    of the living earth,
    and lose the ability
    to digest
    the consuming world.

    This is soo powerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digesting a consuming world seems counter-intuitive because that which consumes is usually the one doing the digesting....that is what makes this so thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete