Sunday, July 30, 2017

Magnetic

Magnetic

The erosion
of many ages
has removed loose soil.
Debris
has washed away
from dark showers.
Soft minerals
have dissolved
under undulating rivers.
Remaining
are columns
of cooled lava.
Dense iron
bends the fields
and behavior;
focal points
on barren planes
of perception.
The calloused hand
liberates
a tarnished
brass compass
from a pocket
and holds it parallel
to the tuned
horizon,
as it pivots.

-Robert L. Jackson III

This one was actually partially inspired by a show on shark week about sharks apparent attraction to volcanoes.




12 comments:

  1. I love the image of the hand holding the compass up to the horizon..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this description too and the images....how fascinating it was inspired by shark week....it is something I love to watch as well.

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem has a wonderful progression. I enjoyed learning your inspiration as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this for its expressive adjectives all the way through! Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the compass in the calloused hand..wonderful image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your narrative and details about the compass made me smile. My dad had a compass he always carried, even though he seldom ventured anywhere he would need one. A talisman, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good story. Do Sharks have a compass?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get a sense of the eons it takes to magnetize ....

    ReplyDelete